Hot Humid House Design Considerations (Tropical)
(Examples: Darwin, Townsville, Broome)
* High humidity with a degree of "dry season".
* High temperatures year round.
* Minimum seasonal temperature variation.
Lowest diurnal (day/night) temperature range.
KEY DESIGN PURPOSES:
* Employ lightweight (low mass) construction.
* Maximise external wall areas (plans with one room depth are ideal) to encourage movement of breezes through the building.
* Site for exposure to breezes and shading all year.
* Shade whole building summer & winter (consider using a fly roof).
* Use reflective insulation & vapour barriers.
* Ventilate roof spaces.
* Use bulk insulation if mechanically cooling.
* Choose light coloured roof and wall materials.
* Elevate building to permit airflow beneath floors.
* Consider high or raked ceilings.
* Provide screened, shaded outdoor living areas.
* Consider creating sleepout spaces.
* Design and build for cyclonic conditions.
Examples of homes